Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nuwara Eliya, the splendor of central highlands

| |


Just approximately 180Km from Colombo lies Nuwara Eliya at an altitude of 1868m (to be precise), a beautiful and breathtaking city in the central highlands of Sri Lanka surrounded with mountains, streams and valleys, plush water falls, meadows & streches of tea plantations (being one of the largest exporters of finest tea in the world), flora and fauna and boasts of the highest set botanical gardens in the world between 5000 - 6000 feet in elevation.

I truly envy my mother as she spent her childhood in this town of mountains thanks to my grand father who was attached to the 'government-kacheri' for many years. She often relates how she walks to school in the comfort of her woolen sweater yet shivering through the mist in the early hours of the morning and returns home after school only after visiting her berry-bush; she claims she kept hidden from the eyes of many for a very long time sparring every berry in her 'berry-trees'. 

The architecture of the city resembles an English country town inherited from the days of British colonisation. Green roofs, chimneys, well-groomed lawns filled with flower beds, pine tress, the horse race-course and the NuwaraEliya park are some of my favourite hallmarks of Nuwara Eliya town.  The sub-tropical climate enhances the aura of this majical jewel right in the heart of this paradise island. I love the drive up-hill to Nuwara Eliya (especially through the Hatton Road alternative to Kandy Road), it greets me with fresh-minted solemly chilled air with splendid scenary and coloured petals captivating not only my eyes but all my heart and soul. A trip to this city rejuvanates my entire body and mind. I'm sharing some shots taken uphill looking down on a magnificent view of Nuwara Eliya town taken during a visit with my family. 





























0 comments:

Post a Comment